Ok yes, I’m a little late to the Oreo ball insanity. Maybe you’ve been there, done that. BUT I have to tell you this Oreo ball recipe has to be the most requested thing I get when I offer to bring food to a party or event. And I don’t mind because it’s so easy to put together – only requires 4 ingredients and no baking! You really can run to the grocery store and throw these together the night of a party and you gotta love that about a recipe. Plus it’s been a huge crowd pleaser so far since everyone likes Oreos (the dough is made of crack or something). So if you’re looking for a last minute, easy to make dessert recipe, look no further!
No Bake Sea Salt and Cream Cheese Oreo Balls Recipe
Prep time: 30-45 min
Cook times: 0 min
Servings: About 20-30 depending how big you make your truffle
1 package of Oreos
1 package of plain cream cheese; cubed; room temperature
1 bag of chocolate chips (I used dark)
1. If you have a food processor – great! Throw those SOBs in there and call it a day. If you don’t have a food processor, you will have to smash the entire package of Oreos into teenie, tiny bits. The tinier, the better. I am a fan putting a handful into a plastic bag, covering it with a towel, and smashing it with whatever you have handy in your kitchen. It takes a while, but it’s totally worth it!
2. Once you have your smashed Oreos, throw them and your cream cheese into a big bowl and mix them together until you form a kind of big ball of dough. After making probably a thousand of these one summer, I prefer bringing the cream cheese to room temp and cubing before combining, because it makes it a heck of a lot easier.
3. Add about a half a teaspoon of sea salt to your “dough” and rework it.
4. Now this step is optional. The Oreo balls are just as good when not dipped in chocolate, but I think it makes them look prettier. Melt your chocolate chips. Microwave or double boiler works perfectly.
5. Start scooping your Oreo dough into about teaspoon sized balls. Dip and roll them in the chocolate and set it aside. Sprinkle the still wet Oreo ball with sea salt. Repeat about …. 30 more times or until you run out of dough.
5a. If you’re skipping the chocolate dipping part, still scoop the dough into little balls and set aside. Sprinkle the set with sea salt and top it off with a dusting of powdered sugar!
6. Let them rest in the fridge for at least an hour. If you’re in a hurry, pop them in the freezer for 30 minutes. I highly recommend leaving them in the freezer over-night if you’re planning on bringing them to an outdoor event on a hot summer day. They do not stand up well to the heat.
7. You’re done! Enjoy! Careful, they are addicting. You have been warned.
There you have it. 4 ingredient, no bake dessert recipe that will make everyone smile. Or hate you for ruining their diet plans, but either way they’ll be talking about it! Whip ’em up tonight, whip ’em up tomorrow, whip ’em up whenever because it’s literally an hour of your life that you will not regret. Pro tip: make more than you think you need.
That’s all for today folks! Have you made Oreo balls before? How did they turn out?